July 23, 2012
ACC media members picked Virginia to finish fifth in the Coastal Division last season.
The Cavaliers then went out an won eight games to finish second the Coastal and earn a spot in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
This season those media members were a little more kind to the Cavaliers, selecting them to finish fourth in the division in a preseason poll released Monday.
Virginia was picked to finish behind Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and North Carolina and ahead of Miami and Duke.
Florida State, meanwhile, was the pick to win the Atlantic Division, followed by Clemson, North Carolina State, Wake Forest, Boston College and Maryland.
Writers predicted a Florida State-Virginia Tech Championship game for the fourth straight season, with 56 of the 78 members picking the Seminoles over the Hokies.
Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins narrowly beat out Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas in preseason player of the year voting. Watkins received 25 votes, while Thomas fell just short with 21.
Below is a full recap of the voting:
1. Florida State (72)
2. Clemson (17)
3. North Carolina State (5)
4. Wake Forest
5. Boston College
1. Virginia Tech (83)
2. Georgia Tech (10)
3. North Carolina (2)
ACC championship game predictions
1. Florida State over Virginia Tech (56)
2. Virginia Tech over Florida State (12)
3. Florida State over Georgia Tech (4)
4. Virginia Tech over Clemson (3)
5. Clemson over Georgia Tech (3)
ACC player of the year
1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson (25)
2. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech (21)
3. EJ Manuel, Florida State (19)
4. Tajh Boyd, Clemson (18)
5. Mike Glennon, North Carolina State (5)
6. David Amerson, North Carolina State (3)
7. Giovani Bernard, North Carolina (1)
Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech (1)
Bryn Renner, North Carolina (1)
Tanner Price, Wake Forest (1)