March 2, 2012
The Virginia women's tennis team defeated VCU 6-1 Friday for their 10th win of the season and fourth in a row. The No. 6 Cavaliers dropped just one match during competition. The event was moved indoors to Boar's Head and marked the start of a five-match homestand.
UVa swept all three doubles matches to earn the first point. In singles, the Cavaliers increased their lead to 6-0 following wins from Hana Tomljanovic, Li Xi, Erin Vierra, Lindsey Hardenbergh, and Emily Fraser. In the final match, VCU's Salome Kvitashvili edged Virginia's Caryssa Peretz in a third-set tiebreaker for the visitor's lone point.
“As much as winning an important match, I was impressed with how we really built momentum in this match,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “It is momentum that we can take into this break and hopefully carry through as we start the second part of our regular season. As the match went on, we showed improvement and there were a lot of positives. We also appreciate all the fans you came out and supported us this afternoon.”
Virginia will next host Maryland on March 17 at noon.
#6 VIRGINIA 6, #42 VCU 1
1. #11 Fraser/Xi (UVa) def. Bara/Bara (VCU) 8-7(4)
2. Vierra/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Hjertquist/Yakauleva (VCU) 8-2
3. Hardenbergh/O’Koniewski (UVa) def. Kvitashvili/Terteac (VCU) 8-3
1. #17 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Ana Bara (VCU) 6-3, 6-0
2. #38 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Alex Bara (VCU) 6-1, 6-2
3. #83 Li Xi (UVa) def. Daria Yakauleva (VCU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Olga Terteac (VCU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Marketa Placha (VCU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) def. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) 5-7, 6-0, 10-6
Order of Finish: