March 2, 2012
The Virginia women's tennis team defeated VCU 6-1 Friday for their 10th win of the season and fourth in a row. The No. 6 Cavaliers dropped just one match during competition. The event was moved indoors to Boar's Head and marked the start of a five-match homestand.
UVa swept all three doubles matches to earn the first point. In singles, the Cavaliers increased their lead to 6-0 following wins from Hana Tomljanovic, Li Xi, Erin Vierra, Lindsey Hardenbergh, and Emily Fraser. In the final match, VCU's Salome Kvitashvili edged Virginia's Caryssa Peretz in a third-set tiebreaker for the visitor's lone point.
“As much as winning an important match, I was impressed with how we really built momentum in this match,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “It is momentum that we can take into this break and hopefully carry through as we start the second part of our regular season. As the match went on, we showed improvement and there were a lot of positives. We also appreciate all the fans you came out and supported us this afternoon.”
Virginia will next host Maryland on March 17 at noon.
#6 VIRGINIA 6, #42 VCU 1
1. #11 Fraser/Xi (UVa) def. Bara/Bara (VCU) 8-7(4)
2. Vierra/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Hjertquist/Yakauleva (VCU) 8-2
3. Hardenbergh/O’Koniewski (UVa) def. Kvitashvili/Terteac (VCU) 8-3
1. #17 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Ana Bara (VCU) 6-3, 6-0
2. #38 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Alex Bara (VCU) 6-1, 6-2
3. #83 Li Xi (UVa) def. Daria Yakauleva (VCU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Olga Terteac (VCU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Marketa Placha (VCU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) def. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) 5-7, 6-0, 10-6
Order of Finish:
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to email@example.com.
powered by Disqus