August 29, 2011
Hurricane Irene has led to the deaths of at least 32 people in
- Newport News authorities reported that 11-year-old Zahir Robinson was killed when a tree crashed through his apartment.
- In Brunswick County, a tree fell across a car Saturday afternoon, killing 67-year-old James Blackwell of Brodnax.
- Chesterfield County police say a man died at a Hopewell hospital Saturday after a tree fell on a house he was in.
- A King William County man, 57-year-old William P. Washington, was killed when a tree fell on him as he was cutting another tree Saturday night.
- In Prospect, 89-year-old Charlotte Levine was killed early Sunday when a falling tree limb pulled power lines onto her house and started a fire.
- In Bristol, 46-year-old Shane Seaver died after he and another man went canoeing down a flooded street and the canoe capsized. Seaver's body washed ashore late Sunday in Plainville.
- In Volusia County, 55-year-old Frederick Fernandez died Saturday off New Smyrna Beach after he was tossed off his board by massive waves caused by Irene.
- In Flagler County, 55-year-old tourist James Palmer of New Jersey died Saturday in rough surf.
- In Queen Anne's County, Md., 85-year-old Anne Bell was killed when a tree knocked a chimney through the glass roof of the sunroom where she was sitting.
- In Southbridge, a public works employee was apparently electrocuted by a downed wire at his home Monday morning as he headed to work, officials said.
NEW JERSEY: 4
- Michael Kenwood, an emergency medical technician, died of injuries after being knocked over by floodwaters in Princeton.
- Celena Sylvestri, 20, of Quinton, called her boyfriend and then 911 early Sunday seeking help getting out of her flooded car in Pilesgrove, police said. Her body was found eight hours later in the vehicle, about 150 feet off the road, police said.
- The body of Ronald Dawkins, a 47-year-old postal worker, was found about two hours after he abandoned his partially submerged vehicle early Sunday and stepped into a hidden drainage creek, Kearny police said.
- Scott Palecek, 39, was walking in Wanaque when a pipe broke loose and swept him away in floodwaters Sunday, police said.
NEW YORK: 5
- Rozalia Gluck, 82, of Brooklyn, drowned in a cottage in the Catskills community of Fleischmanns that was swamped by floodwaters from a nearby creek.
- A man in his 50s was electrocuted in Spring Valley when he tried to help a child who had gone into a flooded street with downed wires.
- Sharon Stein, 68, drowned in a creek as she and her husband were evacuating their New Scotland home Sunday afternoon, state police said.
- Police in Suffolk County say 68-year-old Joseph Rocco of East Islip drowned while windsurfing in Bellport Bay.
- One man died after his inflatable boat capsized on the Croton River, police said.
NORTH CAROLINA: 6
- A man was killed in Nash County after a tree limb fell on him outside his home Saturday morning.
- Goldsboro police say a 15-year-old girl from northern Virginia died Saturday after the SUV carrying her and family members collided with another SUV at an intersection where Irene had knocked out power to traffic lights.
- Authorities in Pitt County say a man was found dead in his home after Irene's winds toppled a tree onto his house.
- Another man in Pitt County drove through standing water, went off a road and died after striking a tree on Saturday.
- A mother in Sampson County died Saturday morning when a tree fell on a car carrying her.
- New Hanover County deputies recovered the body Sunday of Melton Robinson Jr., who had been missing since falling or jumping into the Cape Fear River.
- The body of 63-year-old fisherman Gary Korney, of Glen Campbell, was identified Monday after being pulled from a lake where his boat capsized.
- Michael Scerarko, 44, was killed Sunday when a tree fell on him in his yard.
- A 58-year-old Harrisburg man was killed Sunday morning when a tree toppled onto his tent, state police said.
- A man in a camper was crushed by a tree in northeastern Pennsylvania's Luzerne County, officials said.
- A motorist was killed on the Pennsylvania Turnpike when he lost control of his car during the storm in Carbon County, skidded over an embankment and hit a tree.
- The body of 64-year-old Patricia O'Neill, of East Norriton, was discovered Sunday afternoon in the Wissahickon Creek, around a half-mile from where her car was found in the flooded waterway.
- The body of a man believed to be one of two who had been checking Sunday afternoon on the intake of Rutland's water system was recovered Monday.